Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Family Reunion Adventures

Island Park
Last week we spent the week at a family reunion with Sean's family. We stayed in a cabin in Island Park, ID. We had a great time. We even had family reunion shirts which we are sporting in this picture. All of the cousins were together for the first time. Kate had fun playing with all the kids. She was pretty good most of the time, but it was a little hard with her getting off her schedule. The worst part was her sleeping in the room with us. That never goes well. She went to sleep without any problems every night but she would wake up around 1:30am and not want to go back to sleep. She got better as the week progressed, which I was very grateful for, but needless to say I was very happy to put her to sleep in her own bed. We spent the week doing different activities each day. Each night we would eat dinner together and have a short activity before the kids went to bed. As you can see below we stayed quite busy.

Spending the Day in Jackson Hole
We spent Monday in Jackson Hole, WY. We had never been there so we were excited to go. We had a good time. We looked around at the little shops, which was fun, but not as easy to do while chasing an almost 2 year old. We got to take a little carriage ride around town which Kate loved, she kept wanting to poke her head out the window and look at the horses. While I was getting tickets for the carriage ride Sean got us some ice cream, and I must say, it was the best ice cream I have ever had. It was Oreo flavored, and it was so good! YUM!




Our Visit to Yellowstone National Park
We went into Yellowstone on Tuesday. It was a lot of driving but we did get to see some wildlife which was very cool. We saw two bald eagles flying right after entering the park. Apparently there was a nest that Sean saw, but I missed that. It was really cool to see them flying though. We also saw buffalo. We got out to get a picture with this buffalo. It started walking toward the road where we were parked. It was crazy because one minute it was in the meadow and the next it was walking up on the road with the cars. After we got back in our car we were literally 2 feet from it. We stopped and looked at several geysers before stopping at Old Faithful to eat lunch. We were able to make it there in time to see it erupt.

River Rafting
On Wednesday Sean went river rafting with two of his brothers, one of his sisters and her husband. They had a good time. I really wished I could have gone, I have been down a river in such a long time. Sean was in the wettest spot on the raft and he said the water was freezing. Notice in the picture below who is completely covered by the water. They all had a great time.




Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center
On Wednesday while Sean and the others were river rafting, the rest of us headed up to West Yellowstone to go to the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center. It was small, it just had a couple of wolves and a few bears, but it was cool. I have never seen bears as active as there were here. We watched them for quite a while. One bear was standing up on a tree and pushing on it until he knocked it over. It was really neat to see them so active, usually at the zoo they are sleeping or hiding, which is no fun. Kate really enjoyed looking at the bears and the wolves. It is so fun to watch her experience things and to see the excitement in her face. What a joy!

Pool Fun
There was an RV park near the cabin that Sean's parents were staying at which had a pool so we got to go swimming on Wednesday night. It was really fun, Kate loves to swim! I know she just wishes we would let her go and swim on her own.

Cherry on Top
On Thursday we went into West Yellowstone to look at the different shops and eat lunch. While we were waiting for our lunch Kate asked for some chocolate milk because she saw some of her cousins with it. She said, "Chocolate milk please with cherry on top". I was laughing so hard because Sean and I had never heard her say that and we didn't teach it to her. I still don't know who taught it to her, but it was hilarious because it was so unprompted.

4 comments:

Family of Strength said...

It looks like you guys had such a great time together! It's so fun to do big vacations like that with your little ones so, like you said, you can watch them experience it for the first time. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

I noticed you did not credit me wih taking any of the photos. I'm pretty mad. would like you to go through and note which ones I am responsible for. Just kidding. hnks for leing us hang for a few days. We had a lot of fun. We missed having you guys nearby the last two years. I don't know how many times the kids have already said that they miss Kate. I retried e-mailing that recipe. I hope you get it.

Jessica said...

I was so excited to see a link to your blog on Olivia's blog! Congratulations on the new baby, that's very exciting! I was thinking about you guys the other day because it's July and I know Kate's birthday is coming up soon. I can't believe she will be 2, time flies! She is such a beautiful little girl. I hope everything is going well with you guys. I'm excited to be able to keep up with what's going on in your life a little more!

Stephanie EchoHawk said...

fun to see pics of your daughter, i've never seen her before, she is beautiful!! she looks just like you. looks like you guys had tons of fun.